A full-color nonfiction picture book for ages 5 to 8 about those billions of stars you see when you look up into the nighttime sky!
The Universe is full of billions of twinkling stars that humans have told stories about, navigated by, and made wishes upon for centuries. But what is a star made of? How long will its light last? In The Stars: A Gazillion Suns, the character of the Universe takes us on a journey among the stars and explains how they are born, what makes them twinkle, how many there are, and even how they will come to an end. The Universe’s conversational tone helps to engage and inform, bringing complex scientific concepts to a level kids can grasp. The two alien characters provide hilarious commentary while a poem at the beginning encourages language arts connections! Through a hands-on activity and a glossary, kids are invited to explore a world previously out of reach.
The Stars: A Gazillion Suns is part of a set of four books in the Picture Book Science series that explore our incredible solar system. Other titles in this series include The Sun: Shining Star of the Solar System; The Earth: One-of-a-Kind Planet; and The Moon: Small-but-Mighty Neighbor.
- Provides layered text and back matter that encourage more in-depth discovery
- Promotes a sense of awe and wonder in astronomy
- Uses humor to engage children’s attention
- Promotes cross-curriculum learning through poetry
- Includes a hands-on, science-minded project to help support and reinforce deeper learning
- Meets Next Generation Science Standards in Earth’s Place in the Universe and Space Systems: Patterns and Cycles for grades K through 3
About the Picture Book Science series and Nomad Press
Nomad Press books in the Picture Book Science series present real-world examples of science topics kids find fascinating! These nonfiction picture books consist of engaging narratives paired with detailed, accurate illustrations and layered text that offers ample opportunity for discussion and reflection. Elementary-aged children are equipped to recognize basic science concepts and identify the different ways they are demonstrated in real life, while being impressed with the idea that science is a constant part of our lives and not limited to classrooms and laboratories.
All books are leveled for Guided Reading level and Lexile and align with Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
All titles are available in paperback, hardcover, and ebook formats.
- Publisher : Nomad Press; Illustrated edition (March 15, 2021)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 32 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1619309890
- ISBN-13 : 978-1619309890
- Reading age : 5 – 8 years
- Grade level : Kindergarten – 3
- Item Weight : 12 ounces
- Dimensions : 9.7 x 0.3 x 9.6 inches